Tuesday, September 4, 2012

One Direction settle band name lawsuit

UK boy band One Direction have settled a lawsuit brought by a California band of the same name.

The Irish Examiner reports the UK group will get to keep their name after reaching a deal with the US band, who were claiming $1m in damages, a share of profits and wanted the British group renamed.

The US group - formed in 2009 - filed a lawsuit earlier this year after they said efforts to "negotiate a reasonable compromise" had failed. The UK band formed in 2010 for the show “The X Factor.”

A joint statement issued on behalf of both groups said: "All of the parties involved are pleased with the resolution and wish each other success."

The US band are now known as Uncharted Shores - the title of one of their two albums.

The British group will release their sophomore album, “Take Me Home,” on November 13.

The project’s first single, “Live While We're Young,” will premiere on radio stations worldwide on September 24th, and will be available September 30th in the UK and October 1st in North America.

One Direction One Direction

See also:

One Direction reveal new album cover, release date
One Direction reveal title of new album
One Direction film video for Live While We’re Young
One Direction announce release date for new single
VIDEO: One Direction perform on Radio Disney
One Direction announce release date for new single
One Direction top the popmusiclife Pop 10 for 2nd week
One Direction announce 2013 tour
VIDEO: One Direction rock Saturday Night Live
One Direction top the popmusiclife Pop 10
VIDEO: One Direction rock Kid’s Choice Awards
One Direction announce North American tour
One Direction makes US chart history with #1 debut